Monday, October 24, 2011

Expect the Unexpected


Well, things didn't turn out today as I expected. Our activities were light today, so I had planned Breaded Baked Chicken Breasts, Rice and Steamed Brocolli.

Today is Monday, which is generally the day I do my grocery shopping. My youngest has school this morning so I usually take the opportunity to go to the grocery store unemcumbered. BUT today was the day I was to sort out the book order for his school. A job that I thought would take 30 minutes, actually took 60. This definately cut into my shopping time. So my shopping was rushed, but managed to pick both boys up on time.

We had such a beautiful day today - unseasonable for October, that I changed my breaded chicken to grilled chicken. Yes - barbequeing in October! Glorious! Except, of course, for running out of propane half way through cooking. DOH! No problem - I finished the cooking in the oven. Which goes to show, that it is good to have a plan, but always be flexible.

So, what for dinner tonight?

Grilled (sort of) Chile-Lime Chicken

Marinate chicken in:

3-4 tbsp oil (I use canola)
1/4 C fresh cilantro
zest of 1 lime + 4 tbsp juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ancho chile powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
cayenne pepper to taste
pinch of salt and pepper

Allow to marinate at least 30 minutes. Grill on medium-high heat for 7-10 minutes per side, or until juices run clear. Allow to rest a few minutes before serving.

My biggest time saving tip for marinating takes a little forethought. I do this all the time in the summer when we head to the lake. I freeze the meat in the marinade. For example, for this recipe I would take 3-4 chicken breasts and place them in a medium-sized freezer bag and pour in the marinade. Seal the bad, label it and freeze. On the day you want to serve it, thaw it (I usually take it out that morning). The meat marinates as it thaws! This way, I can have all our favourite marinades without carrying all the ingredients back and forth. Trust me, it works!

You can use any store bought marinade as well, but why when this is so easy!

1 comment:

  1. Great tip on freezing the meat with the marinade...will definitely try this next summer at the cottage.

    ReplyDelete